Landlords Certificate

Every landlord is required by law, under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations of 1998, to make sure that all gas or LPG appliances, fittings and associated flues installed in their rental properties are safe.

If you are a landlord, the easiest way for you to make sure that you are meeting the necessary requirements, is to book an annual gas safety check for all relevant appliances, by a Gas Safe registered engineer. At the end of this check, you will receive a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate (also known as a CP12 certificate), which lets any potential tenants know that you are fulfilling your legal obligation for gas safety in that property.

If a landlord fails to meet the legal requirements for gas safety, they are liable for severe penalties and criminal prosecution. If a tenant is harmed due to a failure on the landlord's part to secure proper gas safety checks then criminal court can impose unlimited fines, while if a death occurs as a result of negligence through gas safety, the landlord can be changed with manslaughter. A majority of insurance providers also stipulate that if there is not a current gas safety certificate for a rental property, then any insurance policy that you hold for the property will be considered invalid. For these reasons it is very important to make sure that you hold a current gas safety certificate for all of your rental properties.

What Does a Gas Safety Check Involve?

There are a number of gas safety measures that landlords are legally responsible for, however, by ensuring that an annual gas safety check is carried out and an up-to-date CP12 certificate is issued, you can ensure that any gas appliances in that property have been thoroughly checked. 

A gas safety inspection should always be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. The check will take around one hour, during this time the engineer will:

  • Run a ‘gas tightness’ check on all gas appliances, to check for gas leaks.

  • Check that there is adequate ventilation in rooms that contain gas appliances.

  • Test the safety mechanisms in the appliances, to make sure that they are working.

  • Carry out a visual inspection of all appliances. 

  • Check the burner pressure and gas rate, in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. 

  • Test the standing and working pressure of the boiler (if test points are available for this).

After the safety check is complete, the engineer should provide you with a landlord gas safety certificate (or CP12 certificate). This document should be held for at least two years after the date of the service, and a copy should be given to any tenants that live in the property within two weeks of the service being completed.

PLEASE NOTE: While all CP12 checks include a boiler examination, some engineers will charge extra for other appliances, such as gas hobs, cookers or fireplaces. To avoid hidden costs, always check what is included in your service with the engineer, at the time of booking.  


The Quick Way to Book a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate Service

Finding a reliable, qualified engineer to carry out gas safety checks on your rental properties can be difficult. Luckily, MP GAS AND PLUMBING is here to help! Just simply give us a call on 07894994021 or contact us by send us message.

If you require any of the above services, call us today on 07894994021.

MP Gas and Plumbing,

15 Holden gardens


SS14 3LF

Phone : 07894994021


Gas Safe Register Nr. 588980

Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are registered to work safely and legally on gas appliances having replaced CORGI registration. Visit the website to learn more:

  • Facebook - Black Circle
  • Twitter - Black Circle
  • Google+ - Black Circle
  • Instagram - Black Circle


Keep Calm and Call Us